Using apple cider vinegar is a popular folk remedy for many ailments as well as for general wellness. In terms of fighting acne, is apple cider vinegar worth the effort?
Acne happens for a number of reasons so it stands to reason that not all acne cures will work for everyone the exact same way. That said, apple cider vinegar is well known as a multifunctional folk remedy so while it could help you fight acne proactively and reactively, even if it doesn’t clear up your acne, you could get some great benefits. Many testimonials and apple cider vinegar reviews do point to success for clearing up pimples and improving the overall look of your skin. Here are some of the facts:
Some Facts About Apple Cider Vinegar and Acne:
- You need organic ACV. Distilled apple cider vinegar that doesn’t have the ‘mother’ (the cloudy substance that sits in the liquid) then it’s not good for much, other than your salad. Organic products are often expensive but organic apple cider vinegar isn’t. (Tip: I often buy Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar in the organic section of my grocery store and it’s just a few bucks a bottle)
- You can benefit from apple cider vinegar use both topically and orally. Taking it by the spoonful can help you in numerous ways . By applying it to a pimple, this can be helpful too. Many people put a bit in their bath or simply use it with a cotton ball as an astringent on the face, shoulders, chest, and back (wherever they’ve got a pimple).
- Most people don’t’ like the smell or taste of ACV. It has a really intense taste when you take it full strength. Some people mix it with juice, mix it with honey, or add baking soda to it to take it and opt to apply it topically when they don’t have to go out anywhere.
- Apple cider vinegar can be bad for tooth enamel. For this reason, don’t keep it on your teeth any longer than you have to. Some people mix it for this reason or take it through a straw. You can also buy apple cider vinegar capsules (or buy empty capsules and fill them yourself)
Here are some of the other uses of apple cider vinegar:
- Many say it boosts your metabolism and can help you lose weight.
- Taking ACV can help with heartburn.
- It’s often taken as a potential preventative for food poisoning. If you feel like you’ve eaten something dodgy you might want a mouthful or two of ACV to kill bacteria.
- It’s often used as a spray on animals to deter fleas.
- Despite being an acidic substance it’s actually alkaline and can help you improve your body’s pH balance.
- It’s full of vitamins and minerals.
There are some great natural remedies for acne. Have you had any success with apple cider vinegar for acne? If so, we’d love to hear about it so feel free to leave a comment!